Monday, February 15, 2016

How to Travel with Makeup

HOW TO TRAVEL WITH MAKEUP.....Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

What kind of trip is it?

First question...WHERE ARE YOU GOING? What you might need for a trip will depend on where you’re going, what you’re doing, and how long you’re going for etc.  For example, if you’re mostly going to be outdoors or around water, you won’t need much but if you were going to a more formal occasion like a dinner party or wedding, you might want a full arsenal of your favorites.  Weather can be a huge factor. Hot and humid weather will have you looking for your longer-lasting favorites.

What are you going to wear?

I like to decide what clothes I’m bringing first, and then I’ll assess what kind of makeup I’m likely to want to do with those clothes (plus, considering what I’ll be doing or where I’m going).  This helps me guide my choices and not bring everything and minimize bringing things I won’t use.  You can really plan out down to the last product, or you can simply come up with a rough outline, like whether you’ll wear mostly neutrals or you’ll need a more subdued lip color to pair with a really electric eye look you want to do.

Are you checking a bag, carrying on, or going by a less restrictive means of travel?

Depending on how you travel, you need to plan what you are going to bring. Remember if you are taking a train you will have to lug your makeup kit down the aisle (this always happens I take the Amtrak to NYC...there is never an available seat until the very last car!).  When flying with a carry-on, you’ll have to worry about meeting current liquid restrictions and fitting everything in a quart-sized bag, which can get challenging as it includes things like lotions, creams, gloss, mascara, foundation, and so on.  Another option is to buy smaller, empty travel containers.

How you travel may also determine how safely you need to pack your makeup, as checking a bag will require better padding and securing to minimize shifting in your luggage.  I like to put anything fragile sandwiched between softer items like towels, rather than sitting on the sides of luggage. You’ll want to avoid keeping too many glass containers next to each other as well.  I also like to contain liquids in plastic bags if they’re larger like shampoo or if I have several of them (so if one leaks, it’s not on your clothes).

SAFE TRAVELS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment